Friday, December 11, 2015

December 11, 2015

Dear Fish Families:

Here is a glimpse into our week in the fish class:

Readers' Workshop: We have continued our work with reading superpowers this week. The children are working on checking that the first letter of a word matches the letter of the word they are reading. They also learned about picture power (using the picture to help figure out a word). The last power we learned about this week was 'sight word power' where we see our kindergarten sight words in a book and read them in a snap. 

Writers' Workshop: The children are having lots of success with list books again this week! We began talking about fancier list books. I read many examples of list books with a twist (I like..... I like.... I like.... But I don't like.....) and modeled some books of my own. The children are beginning to stretch themselves as writers and attempt this type of book. We also learned about see saw list books which follow an ABAB type of pattern. (I go to the park. I play on the slide. I go to the pool. I swim. I go to gymnastics. I do the balance beam). 


Math Workshop: This week we practiced ten frame quick looks using the QuickImages app on the iPads. We began working with teen numbers. The children sequences numeral cards and played Monster Squeeze using "tricky teens" and built teen numbers using ten rods & extras. Ask your fish why we call them tricky teen numbers. We also built hexagons using other shapes (K.G.6 Compose shapes using other shapes). 

 

Visual Arts: The children are making gingerbread "cookie" using playdough and art supplies. Our classroom smells yummy! We also have been painting and decorating gingerbread kids and houses to go along with our gingerbread theme. 

Song of the Week: The Gingerbread Man by Jack Hartman



Stories We Read: Snowman, Eating Out, Gingerbread Friends, The Gingerbread Boy,
The Gingerbread Cowboy
Donation Requests: hand sanitizer, soft tissues, foam hand soap


Up- coming Events:
  • Gingerbread decorating party- Tuesday, December 22nd at 2:00 *more info to follow
  • Fish class wears pjs to school- 12/23
  • December Break- 12/24-1/3
  • Word of the Week-the
  • Phonics- ch

Thanks,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment